Tuesday 30 October 2007

Reading Week!!!

So far reading week has proved pretty challenging. As we entered the week with an email to Steve for our current task, we found our selves having to create a presentation consisting of a colour chosen by Steve. The element I received for this task was the colour purple in which seems to be a colour out of my interest, but hey this is all a learning experience that could be vital in the design industry so lets crack on with it. At present I have researched a number of sites in order to find out some information about this asset and what seems to me as the most surprising bit of information so far is that purple is meant to represent Royalty and Sophistication. In past experiences I have often found lavender to be quite relaxing in colour and aroma which is why this was so surprising. In research I have actually found out that lavender may look purple, but it is a lighter form of violet which is generally mistaken for the colour purple.

In this task I am actually struggling a little bit as I'm not sure on how much information will fit in to the 5 minute boundary, with an added question section at the end, so any advise on that will be greatly appreciated. I was considering of asking Steve but I'm not sure as to whether or not he’s annoyed with me for emailing him later then what I should have done.
Things i still need to be cracking on with:

- Before the weekend I intend to have my own domain name in order for me to receive web hosting from John, which appears to be very acceptable. If there are any websites that are recommended please share them as I would like to have full access and licensing to any website I publish in the future.
- Also before the weekend intend to have completed the full presentation in order for me to start thinking about which method I will use to present it i.e. notes, full presentation in hand or read of the board.
- I also intend to come up with as many questions as possible and the answers along with them to make it easier on me when I receive questioning (hopefully I will come up with all the question that may be asked so I wont have to turn down any question).

8 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

'Snap' I'm researching the colour purple too! I've found it really interesting and I'm surprised at how diverse it is in its meanings.

On the subject of timing I don't think you need to build time into your presentation for questions at the end. You presenting should fill the 5 minutes as far as I understand.

Lastly, preparing for the questions before they come is a really good idea. Were you a boy scout?!

John Browne said...

haha! unfortunatly not Michelle, boy scouts were never on my agenda. Why the bizzar question???

Julian Dyer said...

A general rule is that you should have 20-30 seconds for each slide. This means you’re looking at about 10 to 12 slides, each with 3 of 4 bullet points on each. There will of course be an intro slide at the start, and a summary slide at the end.

Be warned though – if you waffle on like I do you may run close to the time limit. Only practicing the presentation will give you an idea as to if you have too much or too little content.

If you have too much consider getting rid of the less important slides, or condense it into another slide. If you have too little, it’ll be back in the internet to do more research.

James Bell said...

Like the idea of thinking about the questions that could be answered and possible answers to those questions.

I have really taken that approach to the Q&A section of a presentation as I have always just tried to think on my feet.

This has normal ended up in me making a answer up that sounds right but probably isn't.

Anonymous said...

Date stamp and time zone test.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Glad to see that you have found lots of information on your colour. I think that thinking of the questions is really good idea as when it comes to the questions you will be able to answer then straight away.

Hope your presenation goes well for you on Monday.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey JB

I think that in the few months we have been on this course you have come a long way.

From talking informally with you, you come across very enthusiastic and bursting with ideas.

I think that the tips form Julian will prove very useful for all of us.

I am really looking forward to your presentation, I am sure you will lift all our spirits.

--
Shaun Bellis
My Journal

Anonymous said...

The requested 'Comments Timestamp Format' has not been implemented.