Tuesday 6 November 2007

Dissapointment and Happy Thoughts!!!

Monday the 5th of November. Today we received our grades for the first assignment and it appears that I have referred. All though it is not yet known as to why the referral was given, I am willing to carry on giving my all in order to get on with the course and preferably replace the referral with a pass grade. Among the class in our seminar group we have covered a great deal in how we are going to move on knowing our current grades. As a summary of this and from each answer given by the class, I feel that its is right to say that everyone who gained a referral seemed to be some what disappointed and are willing to give it there all in order to achieve that pass grade.

Remember people, this is part of learning so hang in there. I referred this assignment also but I’m not letting it get to me the slightest bit because I have referred a number of assignments in the past, I have recovered and learnt from my experience.

On another note we each had a presentation to show to Steve about a colour. As explained in last week’s journal entry, I was given the colour purple. In my opinion the presentation went really well considering I accidentally skipped a slide (I think). The presentation did seem to go by quite rapidly considering the time taken for most students to disappear and then reappear at the canteen doors. But I guess that could be the suspense and excitement I was feeling at that moment, which suddenly made me fly through it.


Tuesday the 6th of November. This morning consisted of the usual from Steve, but instead of the original heart bursting outbreaks of reluctant disappointment. The lecture was finally something other then a disciplinary about emails. Instead we talked about whether it is possible to distinguish the differences between an artist and a designer. This presentation leads to a very good discussion that should prove quite useful in the upcoming. The main question to relate to is, are you a designer or an artist, and why?

This afternoon the class has been researching hard to gain information about the Design Republic. This is a task emitted in A4 that requires us to discuss (evaluate) the designs created by the design republic and how they work as a company, yet again leading on to what I see my self as (artist or designer).

Finally in our seminar groups we discussed the upcoming assignments to fill in any miss-judgment about what we are expected to do. This took exactly 1 hour in which we talked about how everyone is expecting me to come in to college dressed in my Halloween costume on the upcoming Monday. We talked about the past assignment in which we have jus completed and we were given a talk in which to complete for the upcoming Monday. This was to discuss with my seminar group 12 software applications that could be included on the website we are now planning. This needs to include at least 3 OS’s.


Task to complete for next week…

- Complete the discussion about the Design Republic and figure out what I see my self as (Designer or Artist).
- Gain a constant reminder about wearing my gorilla suit in to college next Monday.
- Keep up to date with my time planning.
- Complete seminar task.


P.S. What do you see you're self as, a Designer or an Artist???

18 comments:

Craig Burgess said...

I'd say the difference between designer and artist is massive.

Often we like to think of designers as just people who create the visual look of things, but it's much more than that. Design is about communicating a feeling, message, thought or idea in some set way. Actually building the idea is such a small part of it.

Consider what a web designer needs to do. They have to create an idea that people will be able to scan through easily, as this is how the vast majority of people view the net. Next, they have to create a solid interface that isn't confusing and that seems natural, then they'll maybe have to structure a page's content to be easily readable.

An artist? They just draw things.

On an aside, I've been told to post a comment on your blog asking about a design challenge. So:

What's this design challenge?

Julian Dyer said...

I think that it horrifically naïve and frankly absurd view about artists there, Craig. Only when you have sat down to do a pencil drawing, and had 20 or 30 false starts over a period of weeks can you really appreciate what it means to be an artist. It takes years to be able to ‘just draw’, as you put it.

The amount of dedication needed to get any kind of technical ability is massive – maybe a good exercise for you with the next assignment would be to use a selection of materials and find out how hard they are to manipulate. There is no ‘undo’ button on a canvas; it’s a living thing, constantly evolving.

“Design is about communicating a feeling, message, thought or idea in some set way.” – don’t artists do that? Does a piece like The Scream not convey any kind of idea or feeling?

I get the sense you are trying to imply that design is somehow ‘better’ than art – they are two different approaches to communication. Design has many resources to communicate, including text, graphics and layout. Art can’t tell you what it is about – it is for you to react to.

Do you find it hard to respect something which does not have a function?

Anonymous said...

I predict a riot, I predict a riot.
I predict a riot, I predict a riot.

Suzanne Hullah said...

If i'm honest, I found it hard yesterday to define the differences between art and design. I did Art on a past course and can relate to the false starts Julian mentions. I lost count of how many pieces of paper I've screwed up attempting to get my ideas on paper in Art lessons.

I'd like to consider myself a designer, but I'm also an artist. When I get out my computer to do designs, using applications related to Interactive Media, then I'm a designer. When I get out my pencils, pens etc to draw pictures on paper - then I'm an artist.

For example, drawing my ideas for our previous assignment in my sketchbook with my pencils was in my opinion, me being an artist. Once I took those drawings from paper and developed them on the computer, then I was a designer!

Confusing Stuff!

John Browne said...

Steve, this isn't ammusing :S lol, cant you find some one else to pick on in ya spare time????

Anonymous said...

Not 'picking' on anyone! Craig has one point of view, Julian another. It's a stimulating debate - you should be glad it's being hosted on your journal.

Suzanne Hullah said...

completely agree with steve, i keep coming back here to see if anyone else has said anything about the topic of our essay and adding things that they've said into my notes.

you should go onto the forum, there's two threads on there decicated to the question - designer or artist. some valuable points have been made.

John Browne said...

I was takling about the design challenge you were talking to craig about......

Suzanne Hullah said...

Thanks for pointing out that mistake, I've changed it now.

Speaking about monday, I'm going to bring my camera and get a video of you rolling into class in your gorilla suit, so...you'd best do it now! haha!

Tom Smith said...

I think both Craig and Julian make good points. But the line between 'Artist' and 'Designer' are so blurred and overlapping it's almost impossible to define the two separately.

I think one useful way to define them is the final context of the two. One quote I found was that they are "interchangeable agents of language that speak differently within different contexts".

Another interesting take on it is that design solves other peoples problems, whereas art stimulates and asks questions, therefore creating problems. Design communicates, artwork expresses.

Then again, your views might differ... I'm not even sure that the above is my personal definition.

P.S. Don't forget your Gorilla suit JB.

Shaun Bellis said...

JB... Monkey Suit - Don't forget

Taking both arguments into consideration... are we artists with sophistication and complexities?

Are we designers with an artistic flare?

Come on Burgess and Julian I know you have something more to add.

Discuss.

As usual JB I have enjoyed reading this entry and its comments. I can almost hear your voice reading the entry.

A very positive out look towards the referral.

I am sure that as a collective we can all turn our referrals into a pass.


--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Webomatic said...

Hi All

I am very glad to see this debate sticking out, though my views are different entirely, I believe that to be a designer you must have some understanding of art, not how it is laid out or if you can draw good, but the creativity, ask your selves one question where would designers be without creativity.

I no this is a confusing matter but my view is that designers need art and artists need design, they both share the same qualities, so can you really say you are just one or the other. I suppose this is what’s hard we are asked to define ourselves as just one of them! This makes it even more confusing, I no Craig’s mind is already made up you can clearly see that in his comment but I’m still not sure to this day.

Thanks, Martyn

Rebecca Bradley said...

Yes I'm the same about not passing the assignment I think that only something good can come out of not passing. So glad to see that it isnt getting to you.

And dont forget to bring your monkey suit in.

James Bell said...

Personally I feel that I am a designer but with regards to difference between an artist and a designer I think this is all down to interpretation.

Due to the wide variety of art and design and the fact that they are very similiar in nature I think that it will always be very difficult to establish the difference between each one.

Don't forget the monkey suit!!!

Mark Torrington said...

A designer is someone who creates a solution to a brief. I don’t agree with Craig “that an artist is just someone who draws things”, Art offers freedom of expression compared to design.

As a designer you are bound by the client and set guidelines. I can relate to Julians comments, however art is a natural ability (not a technical one), you either have it or you don’t.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.

Craig Allington said...

Monkey suit? I'm not even going to ask.

And although I am a little late to this debate I do have to agree with Craig.

Especially after our recent visit to the sculpture park it seem that an 'artist' can make anything and call it art, a designer has to be much more careful when designing and creating something that has to actually be used by people not just made to 'look pretty'.

Perhaps 'Artists just draw things' was a tad harsh however.

John Browne said...

Nice... Keeps the argument going :D this is working out better then expected.....


Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this discution, this will come in very usefull for the current task which is about researching the design republic and figuring out what i see my self as. An artist or designer?....