Tuesday 13 November 2007

Monkey Madness!!!!

What a week! Monday for a start was pretty mental, as the previous week I had a dare from Steve to for fill. So with the first college day amongst us I began my journey to Wakefield College wearing a ‘Gorilla Suit’ (or at least half of it). The head, hands and feet were additions in which to put on when I entered the building as I chose not to risk getting arrested on the way in. Now that would have really upset Steve. Any ways don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, that’s all I have to say about it. The amount of laughter seen at my expense and the fun I had in Thorne’s park at lunch time was amazing. Above in a separate journal entry are a few of the pictures taken.

Any way, back to the point of this entry. During Monday we talked about the new web plan that was upon us in the new assignment (A3 – Back to Basics). During this discussion (or shall I say lecture) we talked about what was expected of us in this assignment. A new added feature of creating the entire content of the website is going to challenging as we have a basic amount of words we are able to place in the website. The limit was around 2000 words in which to talk about 40 basic computer elements in which to describe to the ‘Silver Surfers’ (members of the community/50 +/interested in accessing the internet). Other tasks during this session were to produce the measurable goals for this project. As it stands I currently have 6 goals which all appear to be pretty measurable.

Tuesday (today) was a day of confusion in the way of trying to understand a lot about colour and the various types of libraries there were in the world we see today. At 1st I thought that there was only one way of viewing a colour library and that was understood because of a previous showing of the pantone colour booklet from Steve. It also turns out that I now also know the answer to a question that puzzled me as a child, when I sat really close in front of the television set. I always used to wonder why there lots of colours shown when sat too close to the TV (I’m sure some of you also did the same thing as a child and wondered why the reason was). Now from the presentation Steve showed us I understood that the RGB colour scheme is the reason for this and that it’s red, green and blue overlapping helps out with creating the other colours viewed other then just seeing the ones mentioned.

In the second part of Tuesday, we had another presentation about image compression and that various technologies which assist in this. We also got to play around with a few images in Photoshop to test the outcomes of each compression method, in which for a photograph, JPEG format won. For graphics PNG was the better in this particular case.

Task to complete for this week:

- Work on the referral in order to achieve a pass grade on A2.
- Follow times sheets accurately.
- Look out for an email from Steve and reply with in the 48 hour deadline.
- Comment on at least 4 other journal entries before midnight Friday.
- Complete the discussion on image compression.


Needs:
- Lots of comments about Gorilla Monday!!!

7 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

JB you Cheeky Monkey !!

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi JB

I feel that being given the target audience makes this assignment feel a lot more realistic.

The colours lecture was very interesting to me also. A portion of it was reaffirming what I already knew but in more detail.

I was impressed with how the class responded to this few days.

The use of Photoshop to establish which type of compression is best suited to a few particular images was very interesting to me personally.

With regards the email from Steve this week, I have a feeling that it will be asking for everyone’s URL's and new email addresses.

(P.S. I have uploaded the video to YouTube
--
Thanks

Shaun Belis

Greg Carrick said...

I too wondered why the TV screen went like that. It amazing how that many colours can be made just from just Red, Green and Blue.

Craig Allington said...

And I thought I was a monkey enthusiast...

I must admit the compression lecture is very insightful. Not only finding out the different types of compression and what's best, but also getting to know the extent to which you can compress images and where the balance between quality and file sizes lie is particularly useful.

Oh and Shaun, I wouldn't actually say being given the target audience makes the assignment any more realistic.

It is very possible that you may get a client when you begin working that says 'yes my site is aimed at...' but at the same time a client may have no idea what a target audience is, or it could be numerous target audiences which makes it even harder.

When we did this assignment we had to aim at beginners, intermediate users and advanced users so count yourselves lucky.

Gary Benn said...

Im really looking forward to the content section of A3. If you think about it the 2000 words split over all those subjects, its not a lot to write. Just short to the point basic explanations.

Liam Corfield said...

Ill admit, i was one of those kids looking too closely at the tv, it was mainly watching snooker and the different coloured balls. I loved the monkey suit, i didnt think you would do it, in futer ill know that you cant be under estimated.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.