Tuesday 2 October 2007

There is still time!!!

This week has gone by quite well considering it still seems that I am a little behind. The task from now until the next session (Monday 8th October) will be to complete all current ongoing work and prepare to insert all of it in to ‘Adobe PageMaker’.

This week Steve seemed to be a little calmer which can only mean 1 thing, he likes us to complete task set by himself (a little bit obvious). In our seminar groups we talked about our current progress in our first assignment. I have entered the ending stages of the design task (my favourite part), but much more work is needed in order to complete the assignment on the date set. Due to writers block early on Monday I postponed the competitive analysis task and moved on to the design part in which I have nearly completed.

This week I feel that I have learnt a great deal about the designing section as I have produced many thumb nail templates in which I have produced 5 on a larger scale. Narrowed down to the final 1 I began to test the making of the site to get a quick look at what it may look like if I were to complete the process.

The tasks I have set my self for this week are to:

- Complete the competitive analysis.
- Finish of the final design layout
- Amend the site structure
- And produce a price list, summarising my time spent and the hardware/software components.

Due to recent experience following the Nikki Iles task, I have come to my own conclusion about ‘PageMaker’. In my opinion it is not at all as accurate as Steve tends to talk about. This is my conclusion as I created the site structure and all seemed well on the computer screen. Once printed a number of errors appeared on the page all been the same error in different places. The error was that a small gap appeared between a various lines that I had connected to show the flow of data in the site structure.

Also I must remember to state the obvious and be able to prove my theory. In a discussion with John on Monday morning, he brought out an error I was making a few weeks ago. This error was that I got the wrong idea about how much detail we needed to go in to. I started to look in a deeper meaning of CSS when I was only required to find out what it is, what it can do, and what I will use it for.

2 comments:

Julian Dyer said...

The best way to tackle the competitive analysis is to just do a spider diagram for each site. Write down the things which appeal to you in the design, as well as the bits which do not work. When looking at the fonts used, describe what they are like, (eg. Serif and sans-serif – google them if you don’t know the differences) and if you think they work. When commenting on colours, you could describe how they feel. Are they moody? Bright and airy? Regal?

My plan to tackle this would be as follows: Site by site, describe colours, fonts, layout, anything else, then analyse if they work or not. Then, do a small concluding paragraph for each. Repeat for each site. After this is done, write a conclusion about which elements you will want for your site, and which you think you should avoid.

On your problems with PageMaker, sometimes you have to zoom right in to see if lines connect to boxes. Using guides to place lines between can help, as the cursor ‘snaps to’ these. It is only as accurate as the hand which guides the cursor.

Tom Smith said...

I actually had similar problems with Pagemaker, despite having all the column and ruler guides in the right places, the lines wouldn't 'snap' to the guides in the same place... a box would go on one side, a line on the other. The only way to resolve this is to zoom in, remove the guides and line it up manually.