Tuesday 15 April 2008

The Sweet Smell of Progression!!

This week was completely a crack on with it week. No lectures, no tutorials, just a week to work on the remainder elements of the logo design task and the beginning stages of the CD case design. For the logo in terms of progression this week I am very near the end stages in its existence. The only thing needed to do now is to reverse the colour fades from been light inwards and working to a bold appearance, to been bold in the centre and fading on the way out.

During Monday I received feedback from the Assignment 6 Revert to Type. As it turns out I need to re-present my presentation, change the over all design of my hand out, and revise the terminologies of type. Not a great deal to do in terms of designing, but the revision may take some time as it will need to be completely understood round for the concluding part of the presentation. As mentioned in an earlier entry it appears I yet again revved up my engines and did a flat out performance with my over rated motor mouth. The result of this meant a supposed five minute presentation was presented in only three and a half minutes. Nerves are some times a factor so all I can do is go out there and try to stay calm as the situation must appear like a regular thing.

Back on to the designs of the current assignment. In our seminar groups we were asked to rethink our production schedule as our previous tumbled attempt haunted us this week with the logo design not been fully completed by the group. When this was complete, the discussion on our current progress commenced. The work I took in to show was the very nearly completed logo designs I have completed and three on screen ideas for the CD case design. Through feedback, a chosen logo was selected with a few minor alterations suggested. Also a bright spark idea from Steve arose, which insisted that I try and implement all three designs in to one as all show a certain part of the creativeness needed for the marking criteria. This will take a lot of thought and some hard timed graft to get perfect, but I intend to complete it for next week so I can gain feedback before moving on to the insides of the design.

Self study this week will consist of:

- The revision of typographic terminologies.
- A redesign of the Stanley Morison hand out.
- A redesign of the Hokai paint tube (by choice).
- The implementation of three CD designs brought in to one.
- The finishing touch to the Emit logo.
- And the general weekly commenting.

For those of you that want to see the final design to the Emit logo I have created. I will post in a following entry a visual.

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

You seem to be making some good progress with the assignment JB. You'll be finished early at this rate!

In terms of the revision you need to do for the typography unit, I think you need to bear in mind that the terminology will be really important when you eventually get a job. Bearing this in mind makes it less of a chore.

Rebecca Bradley said...

I thourght that your Cd covers where really good that you showed in are group meeting this week. Its a good idea to change the text and the graphics around that you have to different places on the Cd so that you can see if they work better any other way.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi JB,

I think that Tom is right, at this rate you will run out of things to do!

From looking back on previous journal entries, I can see where this idea has come from and how it has progressed to where it is now. You have listened well to the feedback you have been given and made amendments accordingly.

Am I right in saying that this has been your favourite unit so far? I think so!

I also have to redo my presentation as my time was also a little of; a minute and a half over (no surprises there).

I am curious as to why you have chosen to redesign the Hokai paint tube? I would have thought that your time would have been better spent on the current project.

--
Shaun Bellis