Tuesday 22 April 2008

Presenting with Satisfaction!!!

During the course of the week I have been developing an idea for the CD artwork. Although not yet completed, I’m feeling very confident in the design. I must not try to get to attached though as the next intention is to produce a few more ideas bringing it down to a majority decision for the ‘Undark’ CD label.

On Monday a selected few were require to re-do the typography presentation, due to not meeting specific standards the first time round. I was among that selected few as I presented it in a mere 3 minutes and 30 seconds. This time was slightly better then before but still not good enough. The result of this was another go at it on Tuesday morning, one on one with Steve rather then in front of the whole class, like on Monday. This time I managed to present the information bang on 5 minutes and 30 seconds which I believe is the border line for error. Another thing needed to do after the presentation was to answer 10 random generated questions about typography. Not been able to answer ten out of ten, during the course of presenting on Monday, meant on Tuesday I was asked the questions I got wrong. Gladly I answered them right away, which is an achievement considering we were none the wiser about what was in store for us on Tuesday morning. This brings me to think that been on the spot make me more likely to feel a sense of nervousness causing intelligence to wither away.

The next part of Tuesday required me to re-create the CD artwork I had previously created as I made what some call a simply, common mistake. What I had done was create the artwork at 300dpcm (dots per centimetre) when I should have actually created it at 300dpi (dots per inch). So the remainder of the day was to completely recreate the work from the previous day. Not some thing I was best pleased with but I suppose its all in the process of learning.

Finally, in our seminar groups this week we talked about unfinished logo designs (if there we’re any), current CD artwork, the upcoming of the pre-flight document and the understanding of A1.

It appears that the design of my CD artwork shows creativity that is required for the learning out comes. But it’s quite possible that I may run in to a few problems when trying to change it to 4 colours for printing. For this I have been advised to do a ‘Gamut Warning’ test in Photoshop.

It is an understanding that the pre-flight document in merely a check list for both designer and printer to abide by while printing out the requested work. It has been decided that team beta will take this on as a group activity to be completed by the next seminar discussion.

To summarise, I feel that I have overcome an obstacle this week, with the mistake made at the beginning of the CD design. By making the mistake in the first place I feel that I need to be more wary towards instructions and make sure I fully understand what I am required to do before starting a task.

Having the chance to redo the presentation has made me realise that they are fairly simple and that I kind of like to present. Having this 2nd chance to perform an already performed task made me feel right at home with my nervous suddenly disappearing as soon as I stood attention at the front of the class.

To complete this entry, below are a few tasks I’m going to carry on with through out the course of the week.

- Produce more on screen CD artwork.
- Complete referral work on the web building assignment.
- Produce the standard weekly journal comments.
- And research in to the pre-flight document to gain a better understanding for the group activity on Monday.

4 comments:

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey JB,

I am pleased for you that the presentation went better second time around. You are a confident person and it is no surprise to me that you are saying that you now like to present.

The CD cover you have produced looks very professional and wouldn't look out of place in any collection!

I have noticed that you have made collecting feedback during class a high priority this time around which can only be a good thing; however, please take care to record that feedback so that it can be used as evidence. The journal is a great place for this.

--
Shaun Bellis

Victoria Fisher said...

It is good that you did your presentation in the time limit that was set, well done. I can understand why you did it in 3 minutes on Monday as you were in front of the class and it’s different from just doing it in front of Steve. I thought all the people that did their presentation on Monday did really well, I couldn’t have done my presentation that good in front of the class.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that your CD cover is coming along really well.

I like the way that you have put all of the Cd cover designs that you had done in to one. I think this works really well. But now id just start to arrange the text and seeing which font goes better with the music you got.

Mark Torrington said...

Although it is a great idea to see what colours are achievable out of 4cp (four colour process) by doing a gamma check, I would recommend making sure the colour you require most of works across a solid to process pantone book. I know Steve wants us to create it out of cmyk rather than using spot colours, although in photoshop if you save a file as a dcs2 you can achieve cmyk and spot. Spot colours are very useful in a printed document because they remain solid colours.

Glad to read you completed you presentation in time, I agree with Shaun there is a confident person behind the gorilla costume.