Tuesday 29 April 2008

Show Time!!!

The time is drawing near. Next week is the final week before the hand in date of the current assignment, Wailing Whales. Only next week we will be working from home. By this I feel both anxious and a little scared. The anxious feeling comes from the urge to crack on with my design work and having the freedoms to work from home. The scared feeling comes from the fear of distraction, the un-office like atmosphere I will be working in, and whether the work produced over the week will be enough to gain me a pass first time.

Through out this week I have been continuing work on the CD designs, and the pre-flight document. But before all this we had a re-cap of a past lecture on print work. Don’t get me wrong, but I feel both glad, and disappointed at the same time with this. The glad feeling draws its way up from having a second chance to look over this lecture and pick out any valuable points I may have missed the first time round. While the disappointment came from wanting to crack on with my designs and pre-flight material with no hold back.

After lunch on Monday I took the time to research in to the pre-flight task. By doing so I found out quite a lot about what it is, what it does, and the type of questions and checks it contains. Pre-flight comes from a pilot term for checks that occur before a plane is ready to take flight, clever huh?

The pre-flight document I have been creating contains mostly checks for my self and information boxes that will contain data on where to find each file, colour codes etc. I believe I will have this at a completed state further on in the week.

Through out today (Tuesday) I have been working on my CD artwork. The position of the information I need to put is pretty obvious with its location. But finding the correct place to fit in the emit logo is proving to be a tricky task. I so want to add the gradient used in the CD artwork using Photoshop but I believe that would go against me in this particular assignment. Talk of rasterizing the logo in Photoshop were advised to me by Steve, but for some reason Photoshop will not allow me to select the option to rasterize on the EPS file.

I will have to add my CD art work on to the forum for feedback ASAP to gain full advantage of the sources available to us. I feel as though I want my days of referring assignments to be over. So its show time!

Over the following week I plan to:
- Carry on with my CD artwork.
- Complete my pre-flight document.
- Stand by the weekly addition of journal comments.
- Keep in touch with my seminar groups as the pre-flight document is planned as a group activity.
- And start planning towards the evaluation of the assignment.

4 comments:

Rebecca Bradley said...

I think we did a really good job of researching the pre flight document in are group this week.
We had a good range of documents to look at which helpped us loads to come up with some good questions which we made sure that the questions suited us and the printer.

Also your Cd case is coming along really well and making sure you make the back cover as good as the front will make the case look more as a whole.

Victoria Fisher said...

It would be good if you could post your CD artwork on your blog as well as the forum. When trying to find a place where to put the logo, look at other CD cover (well known bands/artists) to see were the logo is mainly place on their CD covers and what size the logo usually is. good for me as it as give me ideas on how to set the cover out.

Gary Benn said...

I think an obvious mistake would be to have the logo too large. Having it too large will make it look slightly amatureish.

I would say it needs to be no larger than 15mm in width.

If you look on professional CD designs they are usually next to the barcode and the copyright text.

On the CD body it is usually very time, 10mm or less. This will really test the design of your logo.

I dont uderstand why the logo needs to be rasterized? Should that not just be imported in InDesign?

James Bell said...

The placement of the logo can be very tricky. Looking at other cd covers is a great way of solving this problem.

Try different variations and post the on your blog for feedback before decide on a final version.