Tuesday 8 April 2008

The Fun of Design...

Monday morning started with a lecture on Macromedia Freehand. This is a vector based application in which we are required to use when creating our logos in this new design assignment. The lecture covered the basics in how to use Freehand’s tool and how we can manipulate the vector image.

At around 10:30, the lecture came to a halt for a presented visit from Mark Feathers, who is a former student on this course. While here he talked about his newly found job in the design industry and how much better it is compared to his previous place of work. It appears yet again another visitor has stated a sense of freedom when working in this industry. Mark also took time in showing us some of the work he’s created over the past few months. The work shown wasn’t so major but still seemed to be way ahead of my current state.

After an hours break for dinner, it was back in to the class for a second go of lecture to teach us some more about Freehand. Over this section of the tutorial we were taught about such things as the assets tab and pantone colours included in the software application. Over all lecture learnt me a great deal, although it is fairly similar to Photoshop, containing only a few slight changes in appearance and tools provided.

After this, it was time for a talk with John. We talked about my current state and progress on the course, and if my thoughts were still the same as compared to when I started the course and posted my first journal entry. It appears that I have a slight change in where compared to previous times. Over the previous months I’ve learnt that I enjoy most aspects of the course, but am more drawn in to web design, and the new assignment of creating a new record label cover. Another thing talked about was our current progression on A7, which at the time I was gaining feedback on alterations of previous designs. Hopefully soon I will be able to get my creative jaws in to a smooth bite of the CD cover.

Tuesday morning was pretty much a get on with it day and the progression on logo design carried on with a slow and steady flow. During the course of the day I have been playing around with more logo alterations trying to get them all together for seminar groups in the afternoon.

I walked in to the seminar room with a total 76 logo ideas. The idea of this was so that I would have a lot of choice for feedback, and to keep A1 intact at the same time. It’s now official that I am on my final design as a chosen was drawn to Steve’s attention. Now all I need to do for the logo design task is to manipulate it ever so slightly and test it with a number of colours. I will post the colours I’ve tested in a following journal entry, to gain feedback on what I have done so far, and to possibly fixate myself on the colours available.

So this weeks self study will consist of:

- Gaining feedback for logo designs.
- Generating ideas for the CD cover design using a series of mind maps and mood boards created over reading week.
- Commenting on other journal entries.
- Inspirational search and annotation for A1

2 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

JB

Although Freehand and Photoshop may appear to use the same tools they are very different. Keep vector work in illustrator rather than freehand and Photoshop just for photo's.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have designed a lot of different logo designs. I think the one you have picked for your final logo was one of the best designs and its going to be good to see any chagers that you are going to do to the logo.