Tuesday 5 February 2008

The fun of design!!

Yet again we had another crack on with it day on Monday meaning my website is entering its final stages. Still to complete is the email form and an index page. On the index page I plan to give a welcoming message that will invite a user on to my creation. Still to complete for the form page is the form mail command that will automatically issue me with an email when a user has submitted data. For what seemed to be working really well, suddenly entered a stage in stress mode. For around 2 hours on Monday afternoon I was trying to get the code and commands correct for this task, but there seemed to be no luck what so ever. Perhaps this task will require my complete attention and a good effort in research.

Tuesday morning and a timed task arrived. Oh what fun it was to crack on with 2 hours worth of decent craft, working to a time limit. The task was to create a typographic solution for a company called Hokai Oriental Gouache that make a profit from selling tubes of paint. We were allowed to choose one additional colour to add to the design along with black and white as the standards. For the task I chose to use the colour red and implement it in to the text on the label. Compared to the previous test in this sort of working environment, this time went one million times better. Instead of creating six full sized designs in detail I jumped straight into the rough side of sketching. Doing this allowed me enough time to create one fully sketched design out of the rough sketches, research the requirements, and 20 minutes at the end to print my design out in colour.

This week I gained feedback for A4 Image Rights, which need a hell of a lot of work in order to pass. With just under 2 weeks before the designated hand in, I am required to:
- Re-restore the restoration image.
- Reword most of the TDR essay.
- Change a few things in the Image Compression essay.
- Include the compression images in the assignment.
- Include graphs to show my finding on image compression.
- And create an evaluation of my work and the progress I am making on the course.

Along side this I am still required to carry on with the website build, and the presentation assignments. This upcoming week is half term week which I intend to take full advantage of, so I can complete as much work as I possibly can.

On a final note I thank Steve, John and all the students for another great half term. I look forward to completing the current assignments and coming back to start another. See you all after half term week.

5 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

Its good to hear your levels optimism and positivity are as high as ever! I take my hat off to you Mr Browne, as I'm sure many of us would be feeling somewhat different if we put in the same situation.

I think your attitude reflects your great strength of character and this will go along way in helping you to succeed with all your current assignments.

Shaun Bellis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shaun Bellis said...

Hey JB,

I believe that Michelle has raised some good points. I am sure that with the amount of work in front of you, put in the same situation, many of us perhaps would react differently.

Its important to realise that its not something that is going to happen over night or by magic. My advice to you would be to try and get some time off work and simply to put the hours in to get this done.

The timed task has proven to be very popular amongst the class this time around. The quality of the atmosphere was reflected in the quality of the designs this time I thought.

I really hope that everything works out for you.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Rebecca Bradley said...

Its good to see that you have nearly completed your site. This will allow you enough time if there are any changers that need to be made to your site before we start the user testing.

John Browne said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Inspirational words from inspiration people.