Tuesday 19 February 2008

Frustration and the Fun Times!!!

Monday – usability testing for the website.

Many websites created are fantastic, and I really feel as though my design is no longer working for the website. Perhaps it’s looking at others work and liking what’s in front of you and suddenly falling out with your idea, or maybe its sum psychological feeling that every one gets while looking at other work. After gaining the feedback I immediately replaced my splash page with a suitable home page, containing a welcome message and links to all sections of the website. Other then the splash page there was a few spelling errors, and complaints on the pictures been a little too small. As a result, I have linked all the images to a larger form of its self which can be reached up on clicking the image on the website. The rest of the day was used up by proof reading every page in search of other errors and links testing.

Tuesday – The fun stuff.

Today we had another timed task which was due just two hours after been handed out. The task was to create a typographic solution to a job advertisement for Vodafone. During the planning process I only managed to create 2 designs as I planned to stick with the time plan I created at the very beginning. For this I gave myself 1 hour to complete the onscreen design and the remaining half hour for feedback and error checking. As the production progressed I was second (I think) to handing in the completed design 35 minutes before the hand in time. This for me is some what of a shock as I been pretty much struggling for some time now.

Struggling caused me to question Steve about moving on to the HNC, but after some encouraging words of my improvement from Steve, I think its worth one more shot to get out of this tight situation.

The afternoon came along and I had just started the build of my presentation. Before going in to seminars for a practice run I managed to complete around 4 slides. This is somewhat short and will need quite a bit of work. Also I will need to complete the hand out I am creating, which is half done at present.

After the seminar group, I have been researching away to find the differences between the fonts created by Stanley Morison. This is somewhat of a difficult task because the fonts are so similar and the differences are very marginal. Luckily I completed my website during the half term break, which gives me more time to buff up A6. I do still need to test the website a little more and produce an evaluation explaining all the problems I encountered in the build of the website. With so much work piling up on me, I lost site of errors and carried on with the work in front of me, ignoring to take screen prints of my problems. Luckily I remember all the problems I had, so the evaluation shouldn’t be too difficult.


So this week I need to:

- Complete the presentation and begin to practice it ASAP.
- Complete the handout.
- Test my website on the target audience.
- Test my website in all browsers in my project goals.
- And the usual weekly blog comments

6 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Just a heads up- you may want to check page titles on all pages of your site- a couple are missing.

Mark Torrington said...

John, whilst I agree that your site needs some attention to the overall aesthetics the layout works really well. I especially like how you have combined the contact information with a feedback report, given the user choices.

About HND or HNC, keep in their JB. At times the HND maybe quite challenging and the way Steve delivers it, it should keep you on your toes. There are few courses available like this, enhancing your attention to detail and encourage you to document your learning progress, if I was able to do the HND I would.

Rebecca Bradley said...

Your presentation was really good in the group meeting. I think its a good idea if we make the final changes to the presentations so that it gives us enough time to practice them more.

Liam Corfield said...

You presented your presenation well, there were hardly any signs of nerves. i also liked you handout, from the designs that you had shown me.

James Bell said...

I think that everyone at some point has looked at there website and thought of changing it's design but this I feel that this is a good thing.

It shows that you are always thinking of ways to improve your work and also thinking of new ideas that can be used in future projects.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey JB

One thing that you have to be careful of here is that you don't fall victim to the old saying "the grass is greener".

It is easy to look at other peoples designs and think they are better or wish that you had taken a different approach; but we all do that.

What you have to do is to concentrate on you own work during this late stage in the development process. Ensure that everything works and that everything is correct before worrying about the design.

One area you need to have a look at is when you click the images to enlarge them on your site, it opens up a very large image. I am not sure if Steve will class these as a page and so it would need to be below 50k (if that’s one of your targets).

This is the first that I have heard about you considering the HNC over the HND. This alarmed me a little as I know that you have the drive and now the time to make this work for you.

No doubt we will have a chat in the near future about it.

--
Shaun Bellis