Tuesday 29 January 2008

The Force of Typography is with in!!!

Monday came and it was back for another go in the design room. This particular day was a work day, as Steve said ‘there is no lecture, so carry on with your work’. So of I started with the build of the website. During the day I came across many problems which were ever so minor, it took some time to get it back right. I finished my template in Dreamweaver and completed my feedback form. No validation yet though. When I was submitting a completed form entry, the computer was automatically opening the Windows Outlook application. Strange!

In the later time of the day I was called in for assignment feedback on A3. John went through a few things that I immediately altered and reprinted. Let’s hope for a pass.

After feedback I was still tampering with the DWT. For some reason when I was changing the links in the DWT file, it was not updating to any of the pages. The rest of the day was spent trying to get this right, with no luck so far.

Tuesday and it was a late start. Steve went to the Huddersfield with four other students to see Dave Panell, at the design mechanics. We were advised to come in for 1 o’clock and carry on with our presentation work that morning. Upon arrival to the class, we gained some more useful knowledge from one of Steve’s lectures. The lecture was about ‘Type Anatomy’, which is very helpful toward the presentation assignment.

During seminar it became clear that I talked a little too much about the life of Stanley Morison, rather then the font types he created and restored. Another factor was the design; apparently it seems a little familiar with another students work. So I will be changing the design of the presentation over the week. Other valuable feedback in seminar groups was that we can compare typefaces in our presentation and explain any differences if any are found. As I have Stanley Morison I believe that will be a fairly difficult task to concur.

The rest of the afternoon involved looking for all the font styles associated with Stanley Morison and the difference’s I saw between them. So far I have noticed one slight difference in the way the ‘counter’ in some letters is slightly bigger in its own way.

So this week will be a busy week.

- Complete the 1st draft of my hand out ready for seminar group.
- Cary on with the build of the website, concurring all overcoming problems
- Design a new presentation layout
- Insert more information about the typefaces created by the typographer given.
- Make the general weekly amount of journal comments or beat it.

6 comments:

Suzanne Hullah said...

Stanley Morison doesn't have many fonts in which you can talk about, but you could always talk about other work that he has done.

Throughout my presentation, there are only two slides that actually talk about his fonts. The rest of mine are to do with his work.

With the amount of research you've found, I'm sure you'll be able to fill the five minutes!

Tom Smith said...

The reason your feedback form opens up Outlook when you submit the form is that you have the 'Action' for the form as a 'mailto:', which will always open an email client. You need to set up your CGI script to submit the form correctly. Whichever CGI script you're using will probably have a readme file with it, but if you need any help I'd be happy to give you a hand at some point.

John Browne said...

Thanks Tom, I'd realy appreciate that a lot...

Webomatic said...

Hey

Yea typography infomation overload. By that i mean theres a lot of infomation on the subject, i was browsing this week and printed of some useful sheets for my sketchbook on it.

As tom said there should be a text document with the infomation on for the forms, i am on them now, just finished my website today almost exept the form which i'm doing now.

I think i may strugle on the form, i will look for help online and from other sources that way i can add to my sketchbook.

Thanks, Martyn

Liam Corfield said...

I think everyone found the typographic anatomy lecture useful, in my opinion it would have been good to have had the lecture before the draft was due, everyone ive spoken to, including you, said that theye didn know how to explain features in the letters. but i can understand why Steve gave it afterwards.

Michelle Bonfield said...

As well as looking at the differences between the typefaces why not try to identify any similarities between them, i.e what was his overall style?

Equally what other typefaces are similar to his and could these of been influential or was his design the original? And how do his designs reflect the time period in which they were created?

I'm sure once you really start analysing you'll have more than enough. Good luck.